Holidays to New York and Washington DC
Few destinations offer as many exciting cities to explore as the USA. That's why we think that it makes sense to visit more than one place in a single trip - this way, you can see that little bit more and really make the most of your time. While the possibilities for exciting combinations are virtually endless, we think that pairing New York with Washington DC is hard to beat.
Here at Bon Voyage, we can help you plan the perfect itinerary to suit everything from the time you have available to specific attractions you want to see. What's more, we can book excursions for you in advance, recommend places to visit and even work extra destinations into your itinerary - just give us a call to discuss your options and hear some inspired ideas.
Top attractions in New York
New York is home to a vast collection of famous attractions. Here is a selection of its best:
• Top of the Rock: Seeing the famous New York city skyline from a great height is an absolute must - and Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Centre offers some of the most amazing views. This three-storey viewing area offers 360-degree vistas - and you can see for a whopping 80 miles.
• Broadway: The bright lights and colourful shows of Broadway rival London's West End. Take the time to find out what will be on during your stay and perhaps book tickets in advance - a Broadway show is, after all, a quintessential New York experience!
• The Statue of Liberty: The Statue of Liberty is a must-visit for all first-timers to the city. Make sure that you don't head straight back into the city as soon as you've seen it, though; instead, visit Ellis Island - just a few minutes' ferry ride away - to find out all about the history of immigration here.
Top attractions in Washington DC
Being the capital of the country, Washington DC ranks among the USA's top destinations. Coming here is a great way to get a feel for the nation's politics and history - especially thanks to its impressive array of monuments - while it's also home to some of the greatest museums on earth. Here are a few tips on what you shouldn't miss:
• The Washington Monument: This 555 ft tall obelisk-shaped memorial was built to honour the nation's first president, George Washington. You'll find it at the the National Mall - though of course, as it's so tall you'll often find you can see it while you're exploring elsewhere in the city. This is the tallest structure made of stone in the world, as well as the tallest obelisk.
• The National Mall: Another must-see is the National Mall, which runs along the banks of the Potomac River. Home to the city's finest monuments, as well as museums and federal buildings, it is a good place to explore on foot. As well as being home to attractions like the Lincoln Memorial, the Mall is a historic place - for example, this is where Martin Luther King Jr made his I Have A Dream speech.
• The Smithsonian Institution : This is the world's biggest museum complex and research organisation. Some 19 museums can be found here, in addition to nine research centres and the National Zoo. Entrance is free to every single one of them, and highlights include the National Museum of Natural History and the National Gallery of Art. It's worth spending some time thinking about which of the 19 museums you'd most like to visit - after all, it would take a long time to get round them all!
Where to stay
Being world-class tourist destinations, New York and Washington DC are both home to an excellent selection of hotels. Here at Bon Voyage, we know that choosing the right hotel can make all the difference to your stay, and we can help you select just the right one for you. Just a few of the options you might like to consider are:
• The Plaza: If you want to stay in New York in true style, it is hard to beat the Plaza - one of the city's most luxurious and opulent hotels. And such is its heritage that it is in a registered New York City Landmark. The grand decor is paired with outstanding service, and a stay here guarantees a memorable trip.
• Fairmont Washington DC: The capital city is as bustling and busy as you'd expect - and while you'll want to drink this in during your trip, you might want to stay somewhere a bit more tranquil. The Fairmont Washington DC is an excellent choice if so, offering luxury and serenity in the heart of the city.
Bon Voyage - experts in travel to the USA and Canada
At Bon Voyage, we have more than 30 years' experience organising unforgettable holidays to the USA and Canada. We'd love to help you plan the trip of a lifetime, so why not call us today on 0800 316 3012 to get the ball rolling? Alternatively, you can request a call back at a time that's convenient for you.