The Mackinac suspension Bridge spans the Straits of Mackinac connecting the non-contiguous Upper and Lower peninsulas of Michigan.
The bridge opened on November 1, 1957, ending decades of the two peninsulas being solely linked by ferries.
At 8,614 feet, the Mackinac Bridge is the longest suspension bridge with two towers between anchorages in the Western Hemisphere. Much longer anchorage-to-anchorage spans have been built in the Eastern Hemisphere, but because of the long lead-ups to the anchorages on the Mackinac, from shoreline to shoreline it is much longer.
The Mackinac Bridge Walk is an annual event held every September since 1958. Walkers are traditionally led across by the governor of Michigan for the 5 mile stroll.
The Labor Day bridge walk is the sole exception to the rule prohibiting pedestrians on the bridge. Walkers begin on the St. Ignace side of the bridge in the Upper Peninsula and walk south to Mackinaw City in the Lower Peninsula. Upon reaching Mackinaw City, walkers are awarded a numbered "Certificate of Completion” and are shuttled back across to the start.